Saturday, June 7, 2014

The World of Beauty

I recently received some photos of baby porcupines and thought they were so adoreable! I mean who could not resist these cute little critters?








It brought to mind the little creature I spied in Kunzelsau, Germany in 2012 while having drinks with friends at a local wine cellar.  There, crawling across the parking lot was a hedgehog.  I have never seen one live and this was quite something for me.  Evidentially the Germans adore these little creatures as you find carved images of them all over.


My friend picked up the little rascal and held it while I took a photo.  I guess this is like people seeing a hummingbird for the first time!

Another first for me that year was eating a Chestnut.  My friends and I attended a local fair and there we stumbled upon a stove where Chestnuts were roasting in the drawer of the unit.



Never having had a Chestnut we bought a bagful and I was delighted to find that they were a wonderful tasting, mild nut.


The thing I like about traveling - seeing the beauty of nature.  Germans love their gardens and I must admit that they tend them with what is evidentially a loving passion.  They have  limited space with which to use for gardening, but every tiny corner is utilized:



While in Switzerland I saw the most beautiful pine trees that went up for over 150 feet in the air.  There were wild flowers and all types of ground cover to investigate.  The varieties were unlimited and breathtaking in color.












My friends and I stumbled across some beautiful mushrooms and, because of their color, I was convinced that this was one of those that you should not eat.



Even while visiting friends in Berlin, I noted that rooftops are not immune to gardens.  Their entire rooftop was covered in various low growing plants and moss:



Speaking of flowers, I am very lucky.  When I have guests over for lunch, I just go out to the garden and collect a variety of lovely tropical flowers.






I have orchids, hibiscus, lobster claw, Ixoria, ginger, periwinkle, Queen's wreath, Heliconia, etc.  All of which make beautiful tropical arrangements with fern, ti or other various leaves. All of these arrangements would cost high dollars in the States but are mine for the taking.

The world is filled with beauty and wonder and we should revel in it daily!

No comments:

Post a Comment