Saturday, December 11, 2010

Holiday Time Again


Once again, the holiday season is upon us and everyone is scrambling around getting their shopping lists prepared, decorating their homes and businesses, making or buying gifts and, best of all, looking forward to the celebrations that will be staged for these events!

Thanksgiving this year was held at Clark Cay and our hosts, Bonnie and Bob, along with Geri and Al, were preparing a feast (with the help of volunteers) for those of us on the island that celebrate the American holiday.

Personally, Thanksgiving to me is not complete unless I have four things: turkey, cranberries, mashed potatoes and my pumpkin bread! I can leave or take dressing, green bean casserole is nice but not a necessity and pumpkin pie only with the presence of whipped cream. Well, we had all that and more!

This year, alas, there was not one can of pumpkin to be found on the island. Lucky for me I convinced one of our favorite grocery store owners (Regina) to order me some cans from the coast on their next boat delivery. She came through with flying colors and got me 5 cans! Hooray. I furnished 3 loaves of pumpkin bread, 2 vegetable casseroles, appetizers, and a pumpkin pie complete with whipped topping. As I had prepared a turkey a few days before for my husband and myself (I love leftover turkey), I also took some leftover gravy.

The day dawned bright and clear and the sea was an unusual falt calm affair. The party was to be held at 11:30 a.m. with the meal being served around 12:30 p.m. We had many regulars there along with some people from a couple of the visiting sailboats and a new couple, Bruce and Liz. All in all there were about 25 people present, give or take 3 or 4!

The food was fabulous! Bonnie and Bob did a knock out job with some appetizers and a ham and Al and Geri presented a beautifully cooked turkey with gravy and dressing. We had salads and macaroni and cheese and several types of deserts, all furnished by various people attending the meal. Drinks were provided and everyone had a pleasant time visiting and passing the time of day after a huge meal.

I have some photos that I want to put on this blog regarding the party and rather than scatter them throughout my blog as I normally do, I will present them here in one group.




















































































































Heck, even the pets had a good time!

Thanks to our hosts, Bonnie, Bob, Al and Geri for pulling off a wonderful dinner!

3 comments:

  1. Bonnie and Bob:; That was the best Thanksgiving Feast I have ever experienced and it was on Guanaja!!!!!!!!!! Hope you guys will be back soon. Lets get together before you leave for sure. Liz and Bruce

    ReplyDelete