Sunday, November 25, 2007

Thankful Thanksgiving is Over?

Well, Thanksgiving is over. Turkey, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberries, pumpkin bread (as seen above), dressing, pie -- we had all those things that make it a wonderful holiday!

I made it to LaCeiba and found almost everything I wanted. A friend had brought a turkey over to the island for me at my request so I did not have to look for that item, but I managed to buy a ham in LaCeiba for Christmas so that was a plus. There were a few things on my list that I didn't find but, hopefully, when we make our trip to San Pedro in the next week or so, I can buy all those things that were not in LaCeiba.

The day I left it was overcast and rain threatened. My tilt motor on the boat was not functioning properly and kept wanting to come up out of the water as I drove along. When I got to the airport I fiddled with the switch and got it to come up and turn off -- or so I thought.

The plane left on time (surprise) and we arrived in LaCeiba where rain clouds were threatening but no rain had fallen that morning. I went into town to go to an agriculture store to get some ear mite medicine for a friend but of the three stores I went to, no one had what I needed. So I gave up and went to the Mall where I felt I could find most of the items on my list.

Three stores in the Mall dealt with computer products or copying, yet not one of them sold copy paper for my printer! I found my Zinfandel wine but they only had two bottles and I wanted at least 12! I did find my gin and a bottle for a friend. No white beans or black-eyed peas, but they had canned pumpkin and cranberry sauce. Lots of cheese (but no Parmesan), along with cream cheese and a variety of vegetables. I had hoped to find Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix but really didn't hold out any hope for it and I was not disappointed.

It was pouring down rain by this time so I grabbed a quick lunch, bought a Pizza to take home (a must when returning to the island) and got to the airport with plenty of time to spare. Bought some vodka in the airport liquor shop and the plane (second surprise of the day) left on time!

Arrived home and the rain had stopped. Went to start the boat and, yes, you guessed it....the tilt motor decided to turn on for no good reason and wore the battery down. Thankfully we have two boats and I called my husband who came and rescued me!


So, all's well that ends well I guess. Thanksgiving day was overcast and mild but, thankfully, no rain. Our guests arrived without incident, we had a nice visit on the porch and a lovely Thanksgiving dinner. Now we have plenty of leftovers to keep ourselves happy for a few days.
I am sure that Thanksgiving day was enjoyed by people all over. So, in spite of good or bad weather, a lack of "standard fare" for dinner, too much or too little food, it seems everyone rallies around and this is one holiday that always brings a warm sense of accomplishment and a wonderful feeling of Thanksgiving - which it was meant to do!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice Thanksgiving. I am glad that you were able to get alot of what you were looking for.
    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete