Friday, April 10, 2009

Ramblings


Do you ever wonder what goes through someone else’s head?  I asked my husband the other morning, "What are you going to do today". He said "Nothing". I then said that's what you did yesterday. He said, "Well I didn't get through."  And that's life on an island!

I’ve often wondered what goes through people’s minds.  I know I’m constantly in thought.  Heck, even when I crochet and my mind should be a complete blank and concentrating at the task at hand, it’s not.  Lately, when I should be concentrating on what I’m doing, my mind starts planning other things and, whoops, an error and another row to rip out!  Back to concentrating.

I help out at a local bar/restaurant during the busy times and invariably the same people react the same every week.  We all know the owner is as honest as the day is long and would not dream of cheating you.  However, every week the same people challenge her bill.  She remains cool and calm and explains every purchase.  We even have people wanting to buy other people drinks and the recipient throws a fit when we bring a “free” drink saying, “I can pay for my own!”  Go figure!  What are they thinking?  

I can go into town and ask say, a bank employee, to do something for me and I will return in a couple of days to pick it up.  Ten times out of ten I return and they look at me with a blank expression and say “What did you want?”.  Then I must go into total detail explaining the particular chore I wanted accomplished,  the date I brought the matter to their attention, their promise to do it and they say, “Oh, yeah, I have it ready.”  Then they proceed to take 20 minutes to prepare the document, which they had never started and seemly erased from their mind.  What were they thinking when they said they would prepare the document in the first place?

I can tell my husband specific plans for a certain day and get his nodded approval.  On the appointed day he’ll look at me and say “When did you say we were going to do that?”  What was he thinking (or not thinking)?  That I was talking to fill empty space?  That I might forget and the whole thing would be forgotten?  Fat chance.

People will make comments without thinking all the time.  I overheard someone telling an individual how great a product was when I know for a fact that it has so many drawbacks that I would never put it on the top of a list of the 10 best items ever produced.  You see, I know they do not use the item to its total capacity and the individual just wants to appear that everything obtained in Honduras is wonderful!  Why?  I don’t know!

When I ask people how they are when I run into them on the island, they reply, “Right here!”  What are they thinking?  I guess it is suppose to be the same as saying “Fine”?

I think what it is, for the most part, is the lack of attention to whatever the other person is saying.  For some people, unless they instigate the question, problem, schedule …. then it is not important and they let it go in one ear and out the other.

Now, I can’t say I’m not guilty of that, but for different reasons.  My kids tell me I’m the Energizer Bunny!  I’ve always got more than 3 things going on at the same time.  I can type, talk on the phone and tell my husband where the aspirin is.  I can make a bed  while collecting the scatter rugs for shaking and pick up discarded clothing while running the washing machine.  As a matter of fact, I just can’t seem to do one thing!  Right now I have three craft projects going on at once.  One is now finished, the other is in the final stages and the third is something I try to work on once a day for a Christmas deadline.

Christmas you say!  Yes, I plan way ahead!  When my husband mentions something he would like to have or has an interest in, I file it in my memory bank for future purchases for his birthday, our anniversary or Christmas.  He, on the other hand, is a last minute person and anything I mention never gets filed.  I don’t know what he does with the information but I sure know he doesn’t retain it.  What is he thinking when I say I would really like something that would make my life easier?  Maybe he is thinking - her life doesn’t need to be easier and challenge is inspiring?  I don’t know.

Most of the time I can give my worker instructions to do certain jobs and he accomplishes them in a timely fashion.  Well, timely for a Honduran as their aspect of time is totally different from mine.  Anyway, sometimes I tell him and he nods yes and doesn’t do it.  What is he thinking? Why nod in agreement and then dismiss it from your mind.  I mean, we are talking about his job and assignments.  Oh, well, for the most part he does a good job, is honest and friendly and does whatever we require.  I guess he can let his mind wander every now and then.

Have you ever talked to another person and you can tell by the blank look in their eyes that they are not listening to a thing you are saying?  What are they thinking?  It must be all consuming because it is like a haze comes over their eyes and they are on auto pilot.

I guess it is just human nature and everyone is guilty at one point or the other of “neglect” of their fellow man.  People get wrapped up in other matters and simply forget their surroundings. They concentrate so hard on what is at hand that they wipe out all other concerns.  I guess it something that keeps us sane. 

This week is Semaña Santa (Easter to those in the States).  Everyone goes to the beach the weekend of Easter.  There are food stands set up, hundreds of boats overflowing with people all to romp in the sand, swim in the water and eat picnic lunches.  The next weekend and for the remainder of the year, the beaches are empty.  What are they thinking?  Maybe it is their way of making the beach a “special” place by visiting it once a year.  We have lovely beaches on the Northwest side of the island and maybe it is good that people don’t flock to them every weekend. They would be turned into garbage receptacles.

Anyway, what was the subject……….?

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy your blog Feather Ridge. This one reminds me of a saying that I use, especially with our grandchildren. It is, "Don't always believe what you think." I think some people and especially -- I shouldn't say this -- men, get lost in what they are thinking and to often believe they think only the truth or refuse to let anything interrupt their thought process. But -- you know you "women" can be trying at times also. And wouldn't life be pretty boring if we all listened to everything? At least when you have to repeat a question or ask someone what they are thinking you are extending the conversation and maybe seeing things in a different if not weird way. I think I am getting lost in what I am thinking.
    Cousin Mike

    ReplyDelete